Pictures: Youngsters learn how to fish at Chafford Gorges Nature Park
- Credit: Archant
Budding anglers took to the Chafford Gorges Nature Park to learn the art of fishing at a family fishing event.
Visitors to the Warren Gorge lake were taken through the steps to land their first fish, learning how to cast, hook a maggot, and safely take the fish off the hook.
A group who visited on August 6 caught 53 fish between them, including roach, rudd, perch and bream.
Chafford Gorges Nature Park education and community officer Andrew Sidders, who has been running the fishing events for the past four years, said: “Kids absolutely love it. As soon as they finish they usually book straight on to another session.
“When you see them catch their first fish, they are so chuffed and happy. It’s a real magical moment. It isn’t just about the fish, it’s also about getting out and enjoying the fresh air and the wildlife. For instance, they also get the chance to see kingfishers diving in the lake to catch their food.”
You may also want to watch:
Family fishing runs throughout the summer. All equipment is provided, however those over 12 will need a fishing rod licence, available from the Post Office. To book your place call 01375 484016, email email@example.com, or visit essexwt.org.uk.
To see more photos click on our picture gallery.
- 1 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 2 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 3 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 4 Romford neighbours' outrage over ‘bonkers’ £20,000 council bill
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 'We had no idea how big he was': 11lb 4oz baby born at Romford hospital
- 7 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
- 8 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 9 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 10 'Stay strong': West Ham footballers send messages to fan with cancer