You can help save lives
�A young woman who has been waiting four years this weekend for a double lung transplant has renewed her plea for people to register as donors for National Transplant Week.
Victoria Tremlett, 24, known as Tor, is on borrowed time fighting the progressive degenerative disease cystic fibrosis.
She was told she had 18 months to live when she was put on the waiting list on July 9 2007.
This week she has made a video appeal to encourage people to sign the Organ Donor Register to help her and the many others who are waiting for a chance at life.
You may also want to watch:
Tor, of Heath Park Road, Romford, said: “Every day is a struggle and it gets harder just to survive each day. Statistically I shouldn’t even be alive now.
“Everyday I face the possibility my chance at life may never come and am constantly scared about my uncertain future.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 7 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 8 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
“At 24 I shouldn’t have to worry about living to 25.”
Tor is one of 10,000 people in the UK desperately waiting for an organ transplant and the sad truth is of them 1,000 a year – three a day – will die waiting.
In Havering alone there are 21 people currently in need of a transplant. Only 20 per cent of the population are on the donor register.
Tor, who has to be on oxygen 24/7, use a wheelchair to leave the house and constantly have medical treatment to keep her stable, has posted her full six-minute video plea on the National Transplant Week website www.transplantweek.co.uk/tor-tremlett and a shorter three minute version on the Live Life then Give Life website http://t.co/Ct8LdYG.
Tor, herself registered as donor, said: “Without a transplant there is no hope for me. Please watch my plea and pass it on to spread the message far and wide. You can do something today and save lives of people waiting each day for their lives to start.”
Visit www.organdonation.nhs.uk or call 0300 1232323 to register as a donor.