You can help save lives
�A young woman who has been waiting four years this weekend for a double lung transplant has renewed her plea for people to register as donors for National Transplant Week.
Victoria Tremlett, 24, known as Tor, is on borrowed time fighting the progressive degenerative disease cystic fibrosis.
She was told she had 18 months to live when she was put on the waiting list on July 9 2007.
This week she has made a video appeal to encourage people to sign the Organ Donor Register to help her and the many others who are waiting for a chance at life.
You may also want to watch:
Tor, of Heath Park Road, Romford, said: “Every day is a struggle and it gets harder just to survive each day. Statistically I shouldn’t even be alive now.
“Everyday I face the possibility my chance at life may never come and am constantly scared about my uncertain future.
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 3 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 4 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 5 Cladding scandal: Homeowners ‘stuck’ as service charges rise
- 6 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 7 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 8 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 9 Detectives appeal for witnesses to Upminster crash involving 'stolen' van
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
“At 24 I shouldn’t have to worry about living to 25.”
Tor is one of 10,000 people in the UK desperately waiting for an organ transplant and the sad truth is of them 1,000 a year – three a day – will die waiting.
In Havering alone there are 21 people currently in need of a transplant. Only 20 per cent of the population are on the donor register.
Tor, who has to be on oxygen 24/7, use a wheelchair to leave the house and constantly have medical treatment to keep her stable, has posted her full six-minute video plea on the National Transplant Week website www.transplantweek.co.uk/tor-tremlett and a shorter three minute version on the Live Life then Give Life website http://t.co/Ct8LdYG.
Tor, herself registered as donor, said: “Without a transplant there is no hope for me. Please watch my plea and pass it on to spread the message far and wide. You can do something today and save lives of people waiting each day for their lives to start.”
Visit www.organdonation.nhs.uk or call 0300 1232323 to register as a donor.