Wonder goal lifts Romford
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO
Ryman Div 1N: Romford 2 Harlow 0
A David Ottley wonder goal on his 50th appearance for Romford helped beat Ryman Division One North rivals Harlow at Ship Lane.
Ottley’s 30-yard belter broke the deadlock before reserve striker Michael Clark sealed victory for Paul Martin’s side.
The first half was short of quality, as neither side displayed the clinical edge needed for an opening goal.
Both teams had great opportunities to open the scoring, but goalkeepers Aaron Omand and James Hassell ensured it remained scoreless at half time.
You may also want to watch:
Harlow’s keeper was first up, saving a penalty from Lewis Francis after the Romford striker had won the spot-kick.
Nathan Hunte had brought Francis down, but the Romford man picked himself up to smash the penalty down the middle only for Hassell to save brilliantly with his legs.
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 3 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 4 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 5 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 6 ‘It is our moral obligation’: Upminster school launches mental health team
- 7 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 8 Kem Cetinay’s Array restaurant to host Halloween 'ball'
- 9 Free holiday swimming sessions return for Havering schoolchildren
- 10 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
Not to be outdone, Romford’s Omand made a super save from a Joakim Ehui volley and Shamir Mullings headed the rebound wide.
Both sides were restricted to long shots after those early chances, but Boro toko the lead nine minutes into the second period through an unlikely source.
Michael Sammut released Ottley down the right, and the full back took the ball forward before unleashing an unstoppable 30-yard effort into the top corner to give Romford the lead.
That advantage was nearly wiped out in the 56th minute, though, as Jamie Dicks cleared off the line to deny Mullings.
Omand produced another top quality save in the 64th minute, when Kevin Toonga crossed towards the back post and Ehui looked certain to score.
The Boro keeper made himself big and blocked the effort from five yards out before, with 10 minutes remaining, Romford put the game to bed thanks to substitute Clark’s first goal of the season.
A Ben Jones flick-on released Clark through on goal and he composed himself before coolly slotting past Hassell to make it back-to-back wins for Boro, who moved up to 11th in the table ahead of Wednesday’s visit of Tilbury.
Romford: Omand, Ottley, Oates, Barry, Dicks, Clayton, Sammut, Seymour, Jones (Senghore 86), Francis, Smith (Clark 68).