Women ‘lucky’ to escape house fire
- Credit: sub
Two women were described as “lucky” after they woke up during a small electrical house fire.
Fire crews from Hornchurch and Harold Hill arrived at the smoke-filled semi-detached house in Ashvale Gardens, Cranham, at about 4am this morning.
Two women of about 40 were waiting outside for the firefighters, who at first could not detect the source of the smoke.
It was found using thermal imaging cameras as coming from electrical cables underneath the floorboards – which may have been chewed on by rats or mice and then set fire to debris.
The women were fine and the damage was minimal, but watch manager Soundy said it could have been worse.
You may also want to watch:
“They were a lucky that it hadn’t developed to more and that they woke up,” he said.
Crews left the scene at 5.30am.
- 1 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 2 70% of Havering residents voted to leave the EU
- 3 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 4 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 5 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 6 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Havering parents and children soars
- 8 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 9 Schools say lack of funding means they can't carry out mass Covid testing
- 10 Sonic boom heard across east London, Essex and Cambridge