Search

Women ‘lucky’ to escape house fire

PUBLISHED: 11:37 28 January 2014 | UPDATED: 14:12 28 January 2014

There was evidence of hoarding throughout the Sidcup property.

There was evidence of hoarding throughout the Sidcup property.

sub

Two women were described as “lucky” after they woke up during a small electrical house fire.

Fire crews from Hornchurch and Harold Hill arrived at the smoke-filled semi-detached house in Ashvale Gardens, Cranham, at about 4am this morning.

Two women of about 40 were waiting outside for the firefighters, who at first could not detect the source of the smoke.

It was found using thermal imaging cameras as coming from electrical cables underneath the floorboards – which may have been chewed on by rats or mice and then set fire to debris.

The women were fine and the damage was minimal, but watch manager Soundy said it could have been worse.

“They were a lucky that it hadn’t developed to more and that they woke up,” he said.

Crews left the scene at 5.30am.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder