Womb service! Collier Row husband delivers baby at home
A YOUNG woman who suffered multiple miscarriages was celebrating this week after her husband single-handedly delivered their healthy baby daughter – at home!
Kelly Mottram’s baby just couldn’t wait for the hospital and was delivered by proud dad Darren at their home in Firbank Road, Collier Row, early Friday morning.
Baby Courtney is a precious gift for the couple who have suffered three miscarriages.
In 2005 insurance worker Kelly, 24, miscarried twins. Later that same year she miscarried again, with a third miscarriage in 2009.
In 2007 she finally gave birth to daughter Shannon, but celebrations were tempered by the realisation the newborn had a cleft palate.
You may also want to watch:
Determined Kelly and security engineer Darren, 26, vowed to try again, falling pregnant in February this year.
Kelly admitted: “I was very stressed-out about the pregnancy because of the experiences I’d had before.
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman, 52, dies in Collier Row in 'unexplained' circumstances
- 3 Boy, 15, was in 'life-threatening' condition after Upminster stabbing
- 4 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 5 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 6 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 7 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 8 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 9 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 10 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
“I was deemed ‘high risk’.”
At 2am on Friday Kelly started having contractions and an hour and a half later called midwives at Queen’s Hospital in Romford who told her to take some Paracetamol and stay at home for as long as possible.
But baby Courtney had other ideas and at 5.45am Kelly started going into labour. An ambulance was called, but not soon enough – 15minutes later the 9lb healthy baby was born with the help of dad Darren.
Kelly told the Recorder: “I ran to the bedroom, my husband was pleading with me to wait for the ambulance but I told him she was coming now.
“Before he could even pull my trousers off my waters broke. Darren was there the whole time, supporting her head.
“I lost a lot of blood, I could feel it pumping from me. But the paramedics showed up a few minutes later.”
She added: “I just remember thinking this sort of thing only happens in films. If I had been on my own I don’t know what would have happened. Darren was amazing – I knew he was from the first day I met him. He is my best friend, the love of my life and now our family is complete.”