Woman to take part in year-long challenge for Hornchurch charity
A hardy fundraiser really is going the extra mile for a good cause as she prepares to set sail on a gruelling round the world adventure for charity.
Cathy Draper will take nearly a year to circumnavigate the globe in a yacht, starting on July 31.
And all her sponsorship money will go to Kids Alive, a Hornchurch-based charity which helps children in poor countries.
At 60-years-old, Cathy has bravely chosen to leave her family and job behind her for the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race
She has made it onto Qingdao, one of ten boats competing in the race, which sees amateur crew teamed with professional skippers.
You may also want to watch:
Cathy, who was selcted from hundreds to take part, said: “I am very excited but apprehensive at taking on such a challenge.”
Cathy, from Ilford, took up the challenge after seeing the plight of orphaned and abandoned children at the Bethany School in Bekoiji, Ethiopia,
- 1 Woman, 52, dies in Collier Row in 'unexplained' circumstances
- 2 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Boy, 15, was in 'life-threatening' condition after Upminster stabbing
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 7 What's happening on the roads and railways next week?
- 8 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 9 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 10 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
Kids Alive provides education for more than 330 children in the town, offering food, clothes “and hope”.
“We are thrilled that Cathy is raising money for Kids Alive as she sails around the world,” said Jenny Cox, Kids Alive editorial and publications manager. “It is such an extreme challenge.
“We really admire her determination and she will be making a lasting difference to children’s lives in the process!”
If you would like to support Cathy, please visit www.justgiving.com/catherinedraper