Williams’ first half volley gives Daggers victory at Bristol Rovers
League Two: Bristol Rovers 0 Dagenham & Redbridge 1
Sam Williams’ 19th minute strike saw Daggers make the trip back all the more happy with another three points.
It was a fine volley from the former Yeovil man to give John Still’s side the lead but they had goalkeeper Chris Lewington to thank for a number of fine saves throughout the match and keep his sixth clean sheet of the campaign.
Daggers signalled their intent early on and Williams tested the Rovers goal inside the first minute, but Sam Walker was able to hold on to the effort.
Their bright start continued when the lively Williams headed narrowly over the bar after six minutes from Medy Elito’s cross.
You may also want to watch:
However, the home side finally got themselves going and John Still’s side will be thankful for goalkeeper Chris Lewington.
He made a fine double save from Oliver Norburn and David Clarkson before skipper Abu Ogogo got a vital block on another goalbound effort.
- 1 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 2 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 3 Harold Hill 18-year-old given suspended sentence for ATM robberies
- 4 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 5 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 6 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 7 Romford MP slams Crossrail delay as it will miss Queen's platinum jubilee
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 10 Christmas lights switch-on to return in Romford
Broghammer saw another effort deflected behind for a corner as the visitors held on after a spell of pressure from the Gas.
But with a great move the Daggers took the lead after 19 minutes.
Started at the back, they worked the ball out wide to Matt Saunders whose ball into the box was superbly volleyed home by Williams to take his goal tally to seven for the season.
The home fans soon got on the back of their side and the atmosphere around the ground was noticeably different.
Chances were few and far between for the rest of the half with a Michael Spillane free-kick off target and a drilled shot from David Clarkson the closest either side came to increasing the goal tally.
Bristol were buoyed after the break but lacked the confidence in front of goal to pose Daggers too many problems.
Broghammer saw a header well saved from Lewington after Eaves’ right wing cross, while the latter also saw an effort pushed behind by the Daggers keeper.
On one on few attacks by the visitors in the second half, Elito looked to have been brought down with a quarter of an hour to go by home skipper Garry Kenneth but referee Steven Rushton waved away the appeals.
Rovers tried to get back into the game but even Derek Riordan, once of Hibernian and Celtic in the Scottish Premier League, couldn’t muster much in attack as Daggers held on for the victory.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Ilesanmi, Wilkinson, Doe, Ogogo, Elito (Caprice 87), Spillane, Howell, Saunders, Williams, Reed (Woodall 69)
Substitutes not used: Seabright, Wakefield, Scott, Maher, Hoyte.
Attendance: 4,874 (including 144 Daggers fans)