Williams at the double for Daggers to ruin Boa Morte debut
League Two: Chesterfield 1 Dagenham & Redbridge 2
Sam Williams’ double helped dampen the Luis Boa Morte party for Chesterfield as they returned to Essex with all three points.
The former Arsenal, West Ham and Fulham star was making his debut after signing earlier in the week, but it wasn’t to be his or the Spireites day as John Still’s side did a job on their Derbyshire hosts.
It was a slow start to the match for the Daggers as Chesterfield dominated the opening exchanges forcing three corners inside the opening five minutes.
But it was a route-one move which saw the visitors first opportunity when goalkeeper Chris Lewington’s long free-kick was headed on by Williams and strike partner Dwight Gayle flicked his effort wide.
You may also want to watch:
From then on it was Still’s side that were in the ascendance as Elito fired wide across goal and Luke Howell glanced a header over the bar.
But their pressure didn’t go unrewarded as three minutes before the break they broke the deadlock.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 3 Case for release of Gallows Corner upgrade funds is in pipeline, TfL says
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- 6 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 7 120-home development on Harold Hill college site approved
- 8 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 10 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
The strike duo again worked well with Gayle playing in Williams who turned and shot low into the bottom corner for his second goal of the season.
It was nothing more than the Daggers deserved at the interval and they started the second half brightly when Michael Spillane fired a 30-yard effort wide of the goal.
But Chesterfield unsurprisingly came back into it and after a spell of pressure, Jack Lester converted Craig Westcarr’s centre after 54 minutes.
Undeterred by that the Daggers retook the lead inside three minutes when Elito’s shot was blocked back to Femi Ilesanmi who played it into Williams and he curled an effort into the top right hand corner.
The home crowd were very quick to get on their side’s back throughout and though the Spireites tried to get back into the game, Dagenham kept them out.
Scott Doe headed off the line and debut boy Boa Morte was well denied by an onrushing Lewington.
Up the other end, Dwight Gayle produced a fine individual move to jink his way through several tackles but fired straight at goalkeeper Richard O’Donnell.
But the Daggers held on and made it 11 points from a possible 15 for John Still’s side.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Ogogo, Doe, Wilkinson, Ilesanmi, Howell, Saunders, Spillane, Elito, Williams, Howell.
Substitutes not used: Dominic Green, Reed, Maher, Hoyte, Woodall, Santos, Seabright.