Williams at the double for Daggers to ruin Boa Morte debut
League Two: Chesterfield 1 Dagenham & Redbridge 2
Sam Williams’ double helped dampen the Luis Boa Morte party for Chesterfield as they returned to Essex with all three points.
The former Arsenal, West Ham and Fulham star was making his debut after signing earlier in the week, but it wasn’t to be his or the Spireites day as John Still’s side did a job on their Derbyshire hosts.
It was a slow start to the match for the Daggers as Chesterfield dominated the opening exchanges forcing three corners inside the opening five minutes.
But it was a route-one move which saw the visitors first opportunity when goalkeeper Chris Lewington’s long free-kick was headed on by Williams and strike partner Dwight Gayle flicked his effort wide.
You may also want to watch:
From then on it was Still’s side that were in the ascendance as Elito fired wide across goal and Luke Howell glanced a header over the bar.
But their pressure didn’t go unrewarded as three minutes before the break they broke the deadlock.
- 1 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 2 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 3 Harold Hill 18-year-old given suspended sentence for ATM robberies
- 4 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 5 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 6 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 7 Romford MP slams Crossrail delay as it will miss Queen's platinum jubilee
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 10 Christmas lights switch-on to return in Romford
The strike duo again worked well with Gayle playing in Williams who turned and shot low into the bottom corner for his second goal of the season.
It was nothing more than the Daggers deserved at the interval and they started the second half brightly when Michael Spillane fired a 30-yard effort wide of the goal.
But Chesterfield unsurprisingly came back into it and after a spell of pressure, Jack Lester converted Craig Westcarr’s centre after 54 minutes.
Undeterred by that the Daggers retook the lead inside three minutes when Elito’s shot was blocked back to Femi Ilesanmi who played it into Williams and he curled an effort into the top right hand corner.
The home crowd were very quick to get on their side’s back throughout and though the Spireites tried to get back into the game, Dagenham kept them out.
Scott Doe headed off the line and debut boy Boa Morte was well denied by an onrushing Lewington.
Up the other end, Dwight Gayle produced a fine individual move to jink his way through several tackles but fired straight at goalkeeper Richard O’Donnell.
But the Daggers held on and made it 11 points from a possible 15 for John Still’s side.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Ogogo, Doe, Wilkinson, Ilesanmi, Howell, Saunders, Spillane, Elito, Williams, Howell.
Substitutes not used: Dominic Green, Reed, Maher, Hoyte, Woodall, Santos, Seabright.