West Ham storm back into automatic promotion hunt

West Ham grabbed a record-equalling 11th away win of the campaign as they eased to the three points at London Road.

Peterborough United 0 West Ham United 2

West Ham United got back on track for automatic promotion by recording a club record-equalling 11th away win at London Road.

The Hammers put in a polished second half display to kill off Peterborough United 2-0. Ricardo Vaz Te and Gary O’Neil netted the goals to extend the unbeaten run to 11 games.

Sam Allardyce made two changes from the team that started at Turf Moor on Saturday. The fit again Abdoulaye Faye and Vaz Te returned instead of Danny Collins and Jack Collison.

You may also want to watch:

The home side started brightly with Lee Tomlin forcing Rob Green to make a save inside the first minute. Peterborough went even closer in the 10th minute as Paul Taylor’s thumping shot rattled the crossbar, though the West Ham goalkeeper may have got the slightest of touches to divert it on to the woodwork.

The Hammers struggled to get into the game during the first quarter and did not really register a serious attempt on goal until James Tomkins headed over in the 22nd minute. The Posh responded with the lively Taylor flashing a shot just wide.

Most Read

West Ham then had their best spell of the opening half with, first, Matt Taylor firing over and then Mark Noble saw his fierce shot deflected for a corner.

However, it was the home side who finished the half the stronger. They almost scored in injury time but, luckily for the Hammers, George Boyd’s goalbound close range shot cannoned off James Tomkins and went behind for a corner.

Faye, who was injured in that stoppage time goalmouth scramble, and Joey O’Brien were replaced at the break by Julien Faubert and Collins.

The Hammers immediately looked much more sharper and positive and they took the lead in the 52nd minute when Vaz Te headed in a cross from Matt Taylor.

And West Ham were not finished there. After Nolan shot just wide, Gary O’Neil decided to try his luck from 20 yards and, to the delight of the 5,000 travelling fans, the ball flew past Paul Jones and doubled the lead.

The impressive Nolan almost made it 3-0 just after the hour mark, but his shot crashed against the bar. The home side quickly responded and only a fine save by Green thwarted Lee Frecklington.

However, it was Jones who continued to be the busier keeper, making decent saves from Nolan, Carlton Cole, George McCartney and Vaz Te as the visitors continued to press forward

West Ham: Green; O’Brien (Faubert 46), Faye (Collins 46), Tomkins, McCartney; Vaz Te, O’Neil (Maynard 88), Nolan, Noble, Nolan, Taylor; Cole Unused Subs: Baldock, Carew


Referee: Chris Sarginson (Staffordshire)

Crowd: 13,517

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter