West Ham’s Scott Parker should join Arsenal – not Spurs
Gunners legend sees England star as missing link for Arsene Wenger’s side
Arsenal legend Ray Parlour has told his former club to gazump rivals Spurs and make Scott Parker their transfer priority as Arsene Wenger battles to keep hold of his star midfielders.
Wenger is facing up to finally losing his captain, Cesc Fabregas, but is adamant that Samir Nasri will not join the Spaniard in heading out of the Emirates.
Barcelona are ready to increase their offer for Fabregas to �31m, having had a �27m bid turned down by the Gunners on Friday.
And while Arsenal are holding out for closer to �40m, the player has reiterated his desire to leave and the deal will happen if a compromise can be reached.
You may also want to watch:
However, former Gunner Parlour, who won three Premier League title medals in his 12 years at the club, believes that Parker is the man Arsenal should be trying to sign, regardless of who stays or leaves.
Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has made no secret of his desire to sign Parker from relegated West Ham, and is the facvourite to land last season’s Football Writers’ Player of the Year.
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 3 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 4 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 5 BHRUT 'determined to learn' after inquest finds failures in pensioner's care before her death
- 6 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 7 Christmas lights switch-on to return in Romford
- 8 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 9 West Ham legend Sir Trevor Brooking supports charity golf day
- 10 Construction of new Rainham Leisure centre pushed back to 2022
But Parlour said: “Scott Parker is going at West Ham, bring him in, he’d be excellent just in front of the back four and there’s an opportunity to get him.
“They also need somebody at the back who can play centre-half, a real stopper like a Sol Campbell, who puts his body there and makes sure Arsenal don’t concede goals.
“If they can get someone like that it would be excellent. They also need a striker as well but they’ve got a decent squad and they’ll have a chance.
“Every Arsenal fan out there who is a little bit worried, don’t panic just yet as there’s a long way to go before the start of the season.
“I’m just hoping they can find that right player or right players to really push them to challenge Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool who will be strong next year.”