West Ham’s Jussi: I’m looking at 15 points from first 10 games
New Hammers keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen says a good start is crucial for West Ham this season
West Ham keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen believes the first 10 Premier League games will be vital in determining the success or failure of their season.
The veteran Finland international has seen many a season in Bolton Wanderers, experiencing relegation last season, so he knows what he is talking about.
“We have to think about getting 40 points as quickly as we can and go from there really,” he said.
“The massive thing is the first 10 games really. If you look at last season, Bolton were in the bottom two after that and two of the three teams in the relegation zone went down so the first 10 games is crucial.
You may also want to watch:
“We have to be spot on for the first game at Upton Park against Aston Villa, that’s why we came in a little bit early for pre-season to make sure that we are going to be ready.”
Looking at the opening six games, West Ham may well be thinking that have a great chance of getting off to a good start, but the keeper knows that they must not think like that.
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 3 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 4 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 5 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 6 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 7 End 8am scramble to secure GP appointments, watchdog warns
- 8 Post delays reported in Harold Hill as Royal Mail confirms staff shortages
- 9 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 10 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
“There will always be pressure in the Premier League, it doesn’t matter who you play against,” he insisted. “You just have to go there and do your best and if you do that you might get a few surprises about who you get your points against.
“The crucial things is that we get a good start and have around 14 or 15 points after 10 games.”
Jaaskelainen is one of few summer signings to arrive at Upton Park and the Finn recognises the fact that more faces need to come in.
“The squad is not that big at the moment, we need a few more signings,” he said, “But I am sure that they will bring in the new faces that we need.”