West Ham must stop Peterborough goalscorers
The Hammers will be hot favourites to take all three points on Saturday when Posh come to Upton Park for a Championship clash.
When asked for a word to describe Peterborough United then ‘goalscorers’ would not be far from everyone’s lips.
Posh have already grabbed 16 of them this term including a 7-1 humbling of Ipswich Town at London Road, but before Saturday they had been struggling on a disappointing run.
A spell of three defeats on the trot without scoring a goal was finally ended on Saturday when they overcame Burnley at home thanks to a double from striker Emile Sinclair.
The forward was brought in with the unenviable task of replacing Craig Mackail-Smith after the West Ham target signed for Brighton during the summer.
You may also want to watch:
Two goals in as many games suggests that he may have what it takes to do just that though and he must be the one to watch at Upton Park on Saturday.
Peterborough have 10 points from seven games this season to place them in 10th spot, but Darren Ferguson’s team are yet to win on their travels.
- 1 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 2 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 3 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 4 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 5 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 6 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 7 Can you help find missing teenager last seen in Hornchurch?
- 8 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Captain Sam Roberts bids farewell and thanks Romford Junior Raiders
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
They have lost at both Brighton and Blackpool, while their only success was earning a 2-2 draw at Millwall.
As well as Sinclair there are plenty more goals in their line-up.
Both Lee Tomlin and former Hammer Grant McCann have three strikes to their name, while Paul Taylor has also been among the goals this season.
Ferguson has been on the phone to his dad to bring in both Ryan Tunnicliffe and Scott Wootton on loan from Manchester United, while the summer saw Nicky Ajose sign permanently from Old Trafford and Craig Alcock arrive from Yeovil Town.
The only time the two teams have played in competitive fixtures was back in the 1992/93 season when the Hammers won both encounters.
They won 3-1 at London Road, while back at Upton Park goals from Peter Butler and Steve Jones gave them a 2-1 win.
That season West Ham went on to clinch promotion and they will be hoping for something similar this time round.
The Hammers will need to work, but surely a home win is the only outcome?
Possible team: Jones, Zakuani, Little, Alcock, Bennett, Frecklington, McCann, Tunnicliffe, Tomlin, Boyd, Sinclair.
West Ham United 3 Peterborough 1
For interactive coverage of Saturday’s Championship clash between West Ham and Peterborough go to http://www.london24.com/west-Ham and set an email reminder. You can ask questions and make comments so make your voice heard and get involved