West Ham defender could be out for three matches
Hammers centre half James Tomkins is likely to have to spend some time on the treatment table after limping off during Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Millwall.
West Ham’s James Tomkins looks like facing a couple of weeks on the sidelines after limping out of Saturday’s clash with Millwall after just 30 minutes.
The central defender has arguably been the best Hammers player this season, but he was clearly struggling almost from the start on Saturday at the Den, before being forced off on the half hour to be replaced by Winston Reid.
“He has got a groin strain,” said manager Sam Allardyce afterwards. “We’ve got a big week coming up next week with three games and he could miss all three.”
That could mean that Tomkins will have to sit out the home games with Peterborough United and Ipswich Town as well as the trip to Crystal Palace on October 1.
You may also want to watch:
Allardyce had already rung the changes in defence by replacing Reid with Abdoulaye Faye and he was delighted with the way he played.
“It was great to see Abdoulaye Faye start his first game and complete it,” he said. “he is a very experienced, calming influence.
- 1 Ex-councillor ordered to undo unauthorised green belt building works
- 2 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 4 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 5 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 6 'I'm terrified': Woman calls on council to move her to new accommodation
- 7 Romford woman arrested on suspicion of illegal money lending
- 8 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 9 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 10 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor
“He was one of the reasons we got a clean sheet because James Tomkins and Winston Reid can get a bit caught up in the atmosphere of a derby and get a little bit anxious whereas nothing fazes Abdoulaye.”
For interactive coverage of Saturday’s Championship clash between West Ham and Peterborough go to http://www.london24.com/sport/other/west-ham-chat and set an email reminder. You can ask questions and make comments so make your voice heard and get involved