West Ham boss eyes new contract for Robert Green
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce confirms they are negotiating with goalkeeper Robert Green about a new deal after another superb performance from the England international against Crystal Palace
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce says that the club are doing all they can to persuade goalkeeper Robert Green to sign a new deal after watching him put in another excellent display in the 0-0 draw with Crystal Palace at Upton Park on Saturday.
The 32-year-old England international kept his 11th clean sheet of the season against the Eagles and Allardyce was full of praise for his number one.
“Robert Green is playing on top of his game, has done all season and again against Palace he showed that he is worthy of his England call-up,” said the West Ham boss.
“His all-round goalkeeping is very solid, his basics are good and then when we need something a little bit more than that, he always seems to be there for us.”
You may also want to watch:
He certainly was on Saturday. He made superb saves from long-range efforts from Chris Martin twice, Wilfried Zaha and Mile Jedinak as the visitors dominated the first half.
“His performance in the early part of the Palace game game was the reason that we have kept a clean sheet as we as we weren’t at our best in front of him and that gave us the opportunity to get better in the second half and try and win it,” said Allardyce.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 6 Severe flooding in Havering and Dagenham as "tornado" hits Barking
- 7 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 8 Primary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Harold Wood protest against proposed Gallows Corner homes
- 10 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
They were sentiments echoed by midfield man Jack Collison after the game.
“’Greeny’ has been a massive part of the team,” said Collison. “He is a world class keeper, there is no doubting that.
“Some of the saves he makes are just unbelievable, but you can see from how hard he works that he gives the team confidence to go and play, so it will be nice to get him pinned down to a new contract.”
His current deal runs out in the summer and it is likely for both the club and the keeper that they will wait until they know what league they will be playing in before any final decisions are made.
“We are trying,” insisted Allardyce. “We are still in negotiation which we have been for a long time with players. We haven’t brought that to a conclusion yet, but we will keep trying.”
Collison may adopt a different plan. “I might have to start having a few words with him and give him a few rib shots to get him to sign,” smiled the midfielder.
“He has been brilliant for us this season and long may it continue.”