Weightloss wonder Violet, 84, from Rainham
If SEASONAL overindulgence followed by months of tiresome dieting has a familiar ring to it then an 84-year-old slimmer from Rainham may offer a little inspiration.
Violet Jennings, of Rothbury Avenue, has painlessly lost around four and a half stone in 18 months with just a few sacrifices and some tweaking of her eating habits.
At the time she joined the club in South Rainham she was taking more than 14 pills daily for blood pressure issues and diabetes but now takes just three and was named the club’s Woman of the Year.
She said: “The nurse told me ‘you will never be able to lose weight because of your age.’ It didn’t necessarily make me more determined but it was good to show her the weight coming off, she just said ‘keep up the good work.’
“I didn’t plan to lose weight, I just wanted to keep it down but it started coming off. To be named Woman of The Year as well, was wonderful. I didn’t expect it, it was lovely.”
You may also want to watch:
Slimming club members follow one of three plans but are allowed 10 to 15 ‘sins’ per day, which are foods not on officially on the menu.
Violet, who had to cut out butter and biscuits, added: “I didn’t find it that difficult and I would definitely recommend it. But if I had to offer any advice, I would say, watch what you eat. Don’t not have the pudding, enjoy yourself, but have everything in moderation.”
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Severe flooding in Havering and Dagenham as "tornado" hits Barking
- 6 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 7 Primary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 9 Get clued up on road and train disruptions coming to the area
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
Slimming World group leader Jane Hampson said: “She is inspirational person who has encouraged other older people to sign up to Slimming World.”
For information about the club telephone 0844 897 8000.