Storm: Tree down in Rush Green, but no rain forecast until later in the morning, and wind expected to stay at 20mph
- Credit: Archant
Britain was braced for the worst storm in five years as the sun rose this morning – but Havering so far appears to have escaped relatively unscathed.
According to the Met Office, Havering is likely to see north-easterly winds of about 20mph throughout the morning, with gusts of about 40mph.
But so far the only reported damage is that of a tree down in Rush Green Road, near the YMCA in Romford.
Firefighters spent the early hours clearing fallen branches from Gallows Corner, but traffic is now believed to be flowing well.
The Met Office has issued an “amber warning” for wind, meaning a “high impact” is moderately likely.
You may also want to watch:
But despite last night’s warning of flood risks, the morning is now expected to remain relatively dry, with light rain forecast toward the end of the morning.
A statement on the Met Office website reads: “The public should be prepared for the risk of falling trees as well as damage to buildings and other structures, bringing disruption to transport and power supplies.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 4 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 5 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 6 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 7 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 10 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
“The public should also consider adjusting travel plans.”
What is the weather like where you are? Get in touch with pics or updates – call 020 8477 3903, or e-mail photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, tweet us: @romfordrecorder.