Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- Credit: PA
A yellow weather warning has been issued across London and the south east of England.
The Met Office has warned that thunderstorms are expected between 1pm to just before 12 midnight today (Tuesday, July 20).
The forecasters are currently expecting the rain to hit around 3pm or 4pm in east London.
It is expected that the storms will impact travel and power supplies, with flash flooding a risk.
There is a chance of lightning strikes, hail and strong winds and the Met Office has warned of difficult driving conditions and road closures.
Should there be flooding or lightning strikes, train and bus services could be cancelled.
The weather forecast shows that although the thunderstorm may miss some places, where it hits is likely to experience torrential rain, frequent lightning and gusty winds.
- 1 'What about vulnerable people?’: Couple protest parking ticket from Gallows Corner Tesco after alleged ‘double dipping’ issue
- 2 Road closures in place after Romford flat fire
- 3 Firefighters rush to tackle Rainham grass fire
- 4 Man threatened and robbed of iPhone and bank card at Romford station
- 5 ‘Great response’ in Romford at its inaugural World Naked Bike Ride event
- 6 Romford man charged after Essex Police investigation into sale of drugs in Chelmsford
- 7 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 8 The Bitter End: Former Romford pub for sale again, with draft plan indicating it could be turned into 35 flats
- 9 Havering Council’s cabinet: Who are they and what are their backgrounds?
- 10 Hammers stars surprise hospital patients and staff
It is predicted that the thunderstorms could produce 30 to 60mm of rain within one to two hours.
Power cuts may also occur as a result of the thunderstorms and services to homes and businesses could be lost.