Watch as plumes of smoke come out of lorry on fire in Rainham
- Credit: Celine' Harris
Police and firefighters were called to the incident in Cherry Tree Lane at around 12.25 today.
Plumes of smoke were seen coming from a lorry that caught fire in Rainham.
Police and firefighters were called to the incident in Cherry Tree Lane at around 12.25 today (Wednesday, June 27).
A Met Police spokeswoman said that no-one was in the articulated lorry when it caught fire, and that the lorry had since been removed.
Angela Deadman, 43, who works in the Ladbrokes over the road from the traffic lights where the lorry stopped, said that she saw lots of smoke in the shop and then went outside to see what was going on.
She said that she didn’t see any fire, but that police were already on the scene and officers closed the road for 30 minutes.
Angela said: “It took about 45 minutes from start to finish.
- 1 Kem Cetinay: Love Island star offers ‘deepest condolences’ after fatal motorcycle collision
- 2 'Totally gutted’: Hornchurch nightclub owner vows to appeal after opening hours extension refused
- 3 Romford World Naked Bike Ride: How protest sits at the heart of the nude cycle
- 4 Motorcyclist dies after collision with car on Shepherds Hill
- 5 ‘It winds me up’: Cleanliness of Romford’s South Street slammed
- 6 Hornchurch police station: No movement on purchase plan as assurances sought about station's future
- 7 Romford flooring company proposes disused shop as site for new three-storey building with six homes
- 8 Wennington: Sale organised in Rainham with proceeds for residents affected by devastating fire
- 9 Hornchurch care home found to have 'made improvements' at CQC check-up
- 10 Man dies after suffering gunshot injuries in Harold Hill
“I was shocked to see so much smoke, and was just pleased to hear that everyone was okay.
“The fire brigade came about 20 minutes later and they had it all under control after about five minutes.”
London Fire Brigade (LFB) has been contacted for a comment.