Vulnerable OAPs enjoy Christmas dinner in Romford
Havering’s older residents got into the festive spirit recently by enjoying Christmas dinner at the YMCA in Romford.
Havering Council organised the event so that some of the borough’s most isolated and vulnerable population could enjoy themselves during the festive season.
A roast dinner with all the trimmings was served and followed by entertainment from Sanders Drapers Signing Choir and the Queen’s Theatre.
There was also a raffle with prizes donated by Asda Romford.
Volunteers helped out at the event, supporting people to and from buses, as well as serving the food and clearing the tables.
You may also want to watch:
Father Christmas and one of his elves also helped out on the day, providing entertainment and helping to serve the food.
Cllr Steven Kelly, cabinet member for Individuals, said: “This was a fantastic opportunity for people to get out and enjoy themselves and get into the Christmas spirit. For some, this might be the only opportunity to have a Christmas dinner with all the trimmings.
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 3 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 4 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 5 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 6 BHRUT 'determined to learn' after inquest finds failures in pensioner's care before her death
- 7 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 8 Christmas lights switch-on to return in Romford
- 9 West Ham legend Sir Trevor Brooking supports charity golf day
- 10 Free holiday swimming sessions return for Havering schoolchildren
“We hope to work with the voluntary sector to hold more events like this in the future to help people socialise with others in order to keep people mobile and healthy. We don’t want people who live in Havering to struggle to go out or feel lonely at any time of year.
“I’m really pleased that the event went well and I also want to thank all of the volunteers who helped to make the day extra special.”