Victoria Road residents return home after gas leak prompts evacuation
- Credit: Archant
About 200 people were evacuated from their homes and places of work in Romford this morning because of a gas leak.
Fire crews from across Havering and Redbridge rushed to the recently resurfaced Victoria Road in Romford town centre after being called at about 10.30am.
The road was closed between South Street and King Edward Road from 11am until about 3.30pm.
Six properties and nine people remain unable to return to their properties but for everyone else things are back to normal, gas network operator National Grid said.
A spokesman added they did not know the reason for the gas escape but were investigating.
You may also want to watch:
Residents and business owners on Victoria Road have planned to hold a street party on Saturday to celebrate recent improvements, including resurfacing, made to the road.
Shane Mathews, who works in Havering Christian Bookshop, said: “It’s rather ironic for us businesses who have had to suffer lose of trade due to road closure recently during the renovation, but these things happen.”
- 1 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 2 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 3 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 4 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 5 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
- 6 Romford neighbours' outrage over ‘bonkers’ £20,000 council bill
- 7 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 8 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 9 'We had no idea how big he was': 11lb 4oz baby born at Romford hospital
- 10 'Stay strong': West Ham footballers send messages to fan with cancer
More than 20 firefighters and fire officers attended the scene.
London Fire Brigade’s Mark Simons, a station manager who was at the scene said: “There has been no fire or explosions but as a precaution we evacuated around 200 people from neighbouring properties.
“Thankfully the latest readings have shown a reduction in the gas levels and firefighters have left the scene.”