Victim of fatal A12 crash in Romford named as Redbridge motorcyclist Mohammed Fahad Shaon

PUBLISHED: 11:23 07 August 2013 | UPDATED: 13:03 07 August 2013

London's Air Ambulance was called, but the man was sadly pronounced dead at the scene

London's Air Ambulance was called, but the man was sadly pronounced dead at the scene


As a young motorcyclist lay dying on the A12, an off-duty fireman knelt beside him while a second biker said prayers.

Twenty-five-year-old Mohammed Fahad Shaon, a Bangladeshi student living in Redbridge, died at the scene of the crash in Romford, between Whalebone Lane and Mawney Road.

He had been heading into Havering on the eastbound carriageway at about 9.50am on Sunday when it is thought he pulled in front of a car and clipped the central reservation kerb.

Fire Brigade watch manager Martin Knight, who was heading home to Romford after finishing a shift at Ilford Fire Station, said: “I got out to see if there was anything I could do. It was one of those situations where it was more about being with him.”

Martin, 46, added: “There was nothing we could do but be with the lad, let him know help was on his way and wait for the emergency services.

“If you’re there, you can’t walk away and you wouldn’t want to. You always want to do something.”

Stephen O’Brien was about four cars behind Mr Shaon’s motorbike when the traffic ground to a halt.

“We walked through the cars and got to the front, and it was quite clear the young man was severely injured,” said Stephen, 58. “His helmet had come off and it was eight-to-10 yards ahead of him on the grass verge.

“His bike was 30 or 40 yards forward of that.

“The ambulance arrived and one chap called for his colleague to bring a defibrillator.

“One paramedic was holding an oxygen mask to the man’s face while the other ambulance person was pumping his chest.”

A G4S worker who appeared to have first aid experience stepped in to help the paramedics, while a second motorcyclist prayed for the injured biker with open hands.

Tragically, Mr Shaon was pronounced dead at the scene. Stephen said paramedics had been working on him for 10 to 15 minutes.

A post mortem yesterday gave his cause of death as head injuries. An inquest will be opened at Walthamstow Coroners’ Court today.

Did you know Mr Shaon? Contact the Recorder news desk if you would like to leave a tribute on 020 8477 3903 or Alternatively, leave a comment below.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder