Upminster student’s car to compete at Silverstone
�An engineering student from Upminster is part of a team who are designing a race car which will compete at Britain’s top race track next year.
Richard Ebsworth, 22, is part of the University of Warwick Racing team, made up of 11 final-year students, tasked with designing and manufacturing a single-seater WR1 racing car to compete at the annual Formula Student Competition at Silverstone.
A large part of the car will actually be manufactured by the students as they prepare for the competition in July.
The WMG sponsored team, which is made up of a mixture of mechanical, manufacturing, automotive and electronic engineering students, are aiming for a top five finish at the Formula Student Competition.
As part of the competition, the students will also have to give a cost and business presentation to the panel of judges.
You may also want to watch:
This year’s team have high hopes of success at the competition after gaining valuable experience last year when they built an electric go-kart for an emerging technologies event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, where they came fourth out of 30 entries, as well as topping the Class 2A category at the 2011 Formula Student Competition.
Chassis engineer Richard said: “The project allows me to take part in a real life engineering challenge, putting my theoretical knowledge to the test.
- 1 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 2 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Mum fears gaping ceiling left by workers will 'collapse' on children
- 5 Women targeted in string of mobile phone thefts at Romford nightclub
- 6 Entry and exit wording on ground by Elm Park car park to be investigated
- 7 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 8 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 9 Romford's Jesy Nelson denies 'blackfishing' accusations
- 10 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
“Having a racing car as an end product serves to make that challenge just a bit more exciting.”
Formula Student is an international event, organised in the UK by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, which sees more than 100 teams from universities across the globe compete.