Upminster singer Joe Cox will be taking on Hollywood after getting new record deal
An Upminster singer, who is going to Hollywood after getting a record deal in America, said it was a “dream come true”.
Joe Cox, 18, said it was the “best Christmas present ever” after record company Region 32 will be representing him.
It means that the former Coopers Company and Coborn School pupil will move to Los Angeles in February and be writing and recording his own music.
Joe said: “My manager got a phone call at 2am on Friday morning and I thought it was a joke. But two hours later they got back in touch and offered me a writing and publishing deal. They had noticed me after stumbling across my Youtube page and liked my music.”
He has been working on some new songs ahead of the big move, and describes his sound as old-school pop influenced by John Mayer and Gavin Degraw.
You may also want to watch:
The former X Factor contestant said going back to LA left him with mixed emotions from when he appeared on the show and performed in front of Gary Barlow and Robbie Williams. He did not make it through to the live finals because they said he was not ready. This year he returned for auditions, but made it as far as the bootcamp rounds.
“The last time I was out there was in 2011 for the X Factor judges’ houses and I didn’t get through. I was scared to go back there, and didn’t think I would be going back with a record deal, but now it looks like I will have to exorcise some demons.”
- 1 Ex-councillor ordered to undo unauthorised green belt building works
- 2 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 'I'm terrified': Woman calls on council to move her to new accommodation
- 4 Romford woman arrested on suspicion of illegal money lending
- 5 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 6 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 7 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 8 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 9 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 10 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor
He added: “The show did make me more comfortable on stage but I want to shake off the X Factor tag. I want a fresh start and to be known for my own music.”