Upminster school teacher to release first novel on parenting
- Credit: Emma Robinson
An English teacher who has dreamed of becoming a writer since she was a child, has released her first novel, centred around love, friendship and parenting.
Emma Robinson, 44, who has been working as a teacher for three years at The Coopers’ Company and Coborn School, St Mary’s Lane, Upminster, has used her experience of motherhood and blogging to write her book The Undercover Mother which will launch tomorrow, Tuesday, March 20.
She said: “Since I was very young, I have wanted to write a novel but it wasn’t until I turned 40 that I decided that it was now or never”, she said.
“By that time I had two young children and it made perfect sense to write about what I was going through – the craziness that is the early years of motherhood.
“At the same time as writing the book, I began a blog which, in turn, gave me ideas for the book.”
You may also want to watch:
The mum-of-two, who lives in Fobbing, Essex, has her children provide an “endless source of material” for her blog Motherhood for Slackers, which takes a funny look at parenthood and includes poems such as Dear Teacher about her son starting school, which was shared by thousands online and caught the attention of the national media.
Her book, The Undercover Mother, a spin-off from her blog, is described as a laugh out loud romantic comedy.
- 1 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 2 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 3 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 4 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 5 Christmas Day babies to spend their first few weeks in lockdown
- 6 DAB radios donated to Queen's Hospital for those too weak to hold a phone
- 7 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 8 Netball club in 4,700 mile fundraising challenge to buy tablet for school or care home
- 9 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 10 Illegal car meet in Rainham sees 49 fined for Covid breaches
She said: “Writing my blog and this novel has been like therapy.
“I hope it might do the same for others and make them laugh a bit.”
Prior to the book’s release, there have already been raving reviews which name it as a “must read for all mothers and mums-to-be” and “absolutely hilarious”.
Another said: “I just couldn’t stop laughing throughout.”
The book is based on fictional character Jenny who is pregnant with her second child and writes an online column for “clueless new mums” and helps them by sharing some of her own experiences.
The Undercover Mother will be released tomorrow, March 20, and can be purchased from Amazon, Kobo, iBookstore and Google Play.