Upminster PCSO cuts short crime prevention talk - to catch suspected thief
- Credit: Archant
An officer holding a crime prevention workshop at Upminster Library had to cut short his talk – to catch a suspected thief.
PCSO Wupundu Simpungwe detained a man who had allegedly snatched £930 from a till at Aldi in St Mary’s Lane, Upminster, after a brief chase.
Constables arrived shortly afterwards and arrested the suspect for theft last month.
PCSO Simpungwe, of Upminster Safer Neighbourhoods Team, had been contacted by staff from the store on the town’s radio link system.
Acting Sgt Ross Evans said: “I am very proud of Wupundu’s actions. He used his local knowledge to look in the areas that the suspect was likely to have run to and then acted professionally in letting other officers know his location while chasing after the male.
You may also want to watch:
“This incident also demonstrated the benefit of the town link radio system. The shop was able to alert my officers immediately – far quicker than using 999.
“If any shop would like to sign up to discuss how the radio link operates then they should contact us at our base in Corbets Tey Road.”
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 4 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 5 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 6 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
- 7 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 8 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 9 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
- 10 Harold Wood primary school collaborates with West Ham on wellbeing garden project
A 31-year-old man has been charged with theft.