Upminster girlguide, Sophie French, wins coveted award
A girlguide from Upminster has won a coveted award.
Sophie French, 19, from Upminster, received Girlguiding UK’s top accolade, recently.
It was presented to Sophie by Baroness Floella Benjamin and Girlguiding UK’s Chief Guide Gill Slocombe, at an exclusive ceremony at the House of Lords.
University student Sophie, who is a leader with 3rd Cranham Park Guides and whose Queen’s guides achievements include putting on a show and catering for 25 Brownies, said: “It was a huge challenge but the skills I learnt have helped me greatly at university.”
The award sees participants take the lead in a number of areas including: developing a personal skill, working with pioneering community action projects, and overseeing ambitious outdoor pursuits.
You may also want to watch:
Chief Guide, Gill Slocombe, said: “I’m sure the experience of the presentation itself will be just one of the happy memories they will look back on in years to come.”
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 2 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 3 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 4 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 5 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 6 Havering road and rail delays to look out for next week
- 7 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 8 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 9 National Hospitality Day: Locals stuck by cafe through 'thick and thin'
- 10 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed