Upminster Dad could be the UK’s Mega Bloke of the Year
A FATHER-OF-TWO from Upminster has been voted one of the UK’s top ten Mega Blokes of the year in a parenting website competition.
Steven Gunther triumphed over 300 entrants to make the shortlist of the contest run by MEGA Bloks in association with www.madeformums.com and will find out on Wednesday, October 13, if he will claim the UK title.
Pre-school construction toys provider, MEGA Bloks, wanted to reward “a top bloke who’s extra special when it comes to his family” because the company said far too often the dads, granddads, partners, uncles and brothers in a child’s life are forgotten about.
It launched its nationwide search to coincide with the company’s 25th anniversary.
Steven was nominated by his wife Lisa. They have two sons Oliver, two, and William, 11months with.
You may also want to watch:
On turning 30 this year Steven made it his mission to complete an Iron Man challenge.
Lisa said: “He’s an experienced tri-athlete and undertook a gruelling training regime and completed it in a phenomenal sub-11 hours!
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 4 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 5 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 6 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 7 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 10 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
“Not only did he complete the challenge magnificently he was determined that his intense training schedule did not interfere with family life. He always made sure he was at home to make traditional Sunday pancakes for our little ones even though he had just completed a six-hour cycle ride!”
Oliver was diagnosed with a threatening condition in the womb and had to be operated on at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) after birth.
Steven ran the London Marathon and raised �4,500 for GOSH as a way of saying thank you.
“He collapsed a few metres from the finishing line in that race but refused to give up or have help across the finishing line to raise all the money,” Lisa said.
She added: “Steve is such a positive person who sets himself challenges in everything he does and then always exceeds expectations. When he was completing the last Iron Man Challenge he lifted Oliver onto his shoulders and made sure the whole family crossed the finishing line together.
“The last 10 years have been truly wonderful and he really is my MEGA Bloke!”
The MEGA Bloke winner will be announced on Wednesday on www.madeformums.co.uk and will win a three-night bed and breakfast break with Luxury Family Hotels.
All the finalists will receive a bundle of MEGA Bloks Pre-School goodies, plus a celebratory bottle of Champagne and a MEGA Bloke Of the Year certificate.