Upminster councillor will trek across Morocco for charity
An Upminster councillor will be putting her best foot forward to trek across Morocco and raise money for a local children’s charity.
Linda Van den Hende, who is also a trustee of the Hornchurch charity, will be trekking between September 13 and 17. It will involve climbing up to 4,200 metres up the Atlas Mountains through weather ranging from sun, wind, rain and possible snow.
She has previously fundraised by taking part in First Step’s charity abseil for the past six years and trekked the Great Wall of China and the Inca Trail in Peru.
The challenge will involve trekking for up to 10 hours a day and sleeping in tents on the side of the mountains.
She said: “It’s a good way of me doing my bit for the campaign and contributing to fundraising.
You may also want to watch:
“At my age I really should know better, but the challenge of testing myself and a bossy younger sister who will be doing this with me and the opportunity to raise money for such a worthwhile cause is just too tempting. Lets hope my feet and legs hold up.”
Linda is funding the costs of the trip herself, and all donations will go to First Step.
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 3 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 4 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 5 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Collier Row grandma crochets letterbox topper to 'make community smile'
- 8 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor
- 9 'Prisoners in our own homes': Hornchurch residents left without lifts
- 10 Romford's Jesy Nelson included in Little Mix display at Madame Tussauds
The charity, which looks after children with disabilities and special educational needs, is encouraging local residents to fundraise for them as part of their Best Foot Forward campaign, which is running all year.
All funds go towards the running of the centre in Tangmere Crescent, Hornchurch, and its facilities.
She is hoping to raise �1,000. If you would like to donate you can log on to her fundraising page at www.justgiving/lindavandenhende