UPDATE: Two dead after rice-filled lorry lands on car in Rainham
TWO people are confirmed dead after a lorry loaded with rice landed on top of a car in Rainham this morning (Friday November 5).
The driver and passenger of a blue Mercedes C-class were killed, following the collision in Ferry Lane, at around 7am.
“The car went off the road and into the marshes,” a police spokesman said, “and the lorry landed on top of the car.”
A recovery bid by emergency crews was hampered when the lorry caught alight.
The road remains closed as police examine the scene.
You may also want to watch:
The incident was attended by 20 firefighters, including two watches from Wennington Fire Station, and a rescue unit from Hornchurch Fire Station
Wennington station manager Michael Burrell said: “It was a very difficult and unusual incident because of the way the lorry had landed.
- 1 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 2 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 3 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
- 4 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 5 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 6 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
- 7 Sewage floods home of family with one-day-old newborn after heavy rain
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 10 Detectives appealing for witnesses to fatal collision near Upminster
“The rescue was a joint effort by emergency teams in arduous and challenging conditions.”
The lorry driver was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service (LAS) with minor injuries.