UPDATE: Two dead after rice-filled lorry lands on car in Rainham
TWO people are confirmed dead after a lorry loaded with rice landed on top of a car in Rainham this morning (Friday November 5).
The driver and passenger of a blue Mercedes C-class were killed, following the collision in Ferry Lane, at around 7am.
“The car went off the road and into the marshes,” a police spokesman said, “and the lorry landed on top of the car.”
A recovery bid by emergency crews was hampered when the lorry caught alight.
The road remains closed as police examine the scene.
You may also want to watch:
The incident was attended by 20 firefighters, including two watches from Wennington Fire Station, and a rescue unit from Hornchurch Fire Station
Wennington station manager Michael Burrell said: “It was a very difficult and unusual incident because of the way the lorry had landed.
- 1 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 2 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 3 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 4 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
- 5 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 6 Plan agreed to tackle persistent flooding in Abbs Cross Lane
- 7 Apology issued after council error sees pupils' fee multiplied by 100
- 8 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 9 Can you help find missing teenager last seen in Hornchurch?
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
“The rescue was a joint effort by emergency teams in arduous and challenging conditions.”
The lorry driver was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service (LAS) with minor injuries.