UPDATE: Man taken to hospital with burns after fire at Hornchurch fast food takeaway
A MAN had to be rushed to the hospital with severe burns after a fire broke out at a fast food takeaway earlier today.
A MAN had to be rushed to the hospital with severe burns after a fire broke out at a fast food restaurant in Hornchurch on Friday (February 4).
The 53-year-old man was taken to Queen’s Hospital in Rom Valley Way, Romford suffering from facial burns after the blaze at the Coral Fish Bar chinese takeaway at Roneo Corner, Hornchurch, around 12.30pm.
Paul Livesey, director of Roneo Prestige Cars, which is next door to the takeaway, said: “It started when I heard their shouting, and so I put my head round the corner. There was a lot of smoke.”
Mr Livesey then ran to alert police at the nearby Brooklands and Hylands Safer Neighbourhood police base, two doors away, but saw officers running towards the building, having seen the smoke themselves.
You may also want to watch:
He cleared the half of the car showroom nearest to the takeaway into a yard across the road, in case the fire spread.
“I thought if it spreads all the cars could go up,” he said. “At first it was just smoke but you could see flames coming right out of the top of the extractor duct at the back of the restaurant.”
- 1 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 2 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 3 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 4 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 5 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 6 Harold Hill 18-year-old given suspended sentence for ATM robberies
- 7 Christmas lights switch-on to return in Romford
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 BHRUT 'determined to learn' after inquest finds failures in pensioner's care before her death
- 10 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
Firefighters from Hornchurch fire station attended and using special breathing apparatus and a water hose they managed to bring the fire under control by 2pm.
“They were very lucky really, I think the occupants were all asleep in the flat upstairs at the time it started,” Mr Livesey said.
The occupants left the building via a side door and are believed, by shop worker from a different store, to have been initially evacuated to a car park at the end of the parade of shops.