UPDATE: Gidea Park sports centre evacuated after chemical leak
A sports centre in Gidea Park was evacuated after a chemical leak this afternoon.
The London Fire Brigade said it received a call just before 12pm about a chlorine leak from the basement of the David Lloyd centre in Squirrels’ Heath Lane.
Three people went to hospital after the incident, and the site has now been declared safe.
A London Ambulance Service spokesman said they received a call shortly after midday about reports of a chemical leak.
A duty officer and a hazardous area response team, which includes specially trained paramedics to deal with chemicals, were sent to the scene. Three people had already made their own way to hospital. No one was treated at the scene.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman from the fire brigade said: “There was a chemical leak in the basement of the building.
“Fire crews were investigating the scene using specialist equipment as it was a chemical incident.
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 4 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 5 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 6 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
- 7 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 8 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 9 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 10 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
“By the time we went in the gas had dispersed. We had to make sure the gas levels were low enough to be safe, by surveying the area and taking readings to make sure it was safe.”
Fire fighters returned to their stations around 3pm.