Unattended toast sets kitchen on fire in Rainham
A man who left his toaster on and unattended set his kitchen on fire in Rainham on Wednesday night.
Firefighters from Wennington and Dagenham stations were called to the blaze at Annabelle Court in New Road around 8.30pm.
Due to difficulties ventilating the top floor flat, the crews spent around half an hour putting it out.
They then spoke to the man’s neighbours, giving safety advice to residents in the area.
Wennington watch manager Narinder Dail said: “He did the right thing, he shut the doors and dialled 999 and informed his neighbours.
You may also want to watch:
“He had a smoke alarm as well, so that was going off.
“No one was hurt in the incident.”
- 1 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 2 'He was petrified': Rainham mother calls for more action on bullying
- 3 'For my kids': Mother vows to keep fighting over council flat mould
- 4 Harold Wood walkers ‘frustrated’ as ‘beyond repair’ bridge is closed
- 5 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 6 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 7 Romford Town swimmer Junayna Ahmed to compete in Olympic Games
- 8 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 9 New community hub opens in Rainham 'following Harold Hill centre's success'
- 10 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
For a free fire visit from the fire brigade to for a home safety check call 0800 028 4428.