Tuohy is Hornchurch hero again
Striker sees off former club
Ryman Premier Division
Aveley 2 Hornchurch 3
Martin Tuohy’s 75th-minute goal saw Hornchurch to a tense 3-2 win at Aveley last night.
Urchins made a flying start to the Ryman Premier Division derby as captain Elliot Styles netted after just two minutes at Mill Field.
You may also want to watch:
But Millers bounced back to shock Jimmy McFarlane’s men with two goals in three minutes before the interval.
Ellis Remy’s 42nd-minute free-kick got the home side back on terms and he struck again on the stroke of half-time to give manager Carl Griffiths a notable lift.
- 1 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 2 'He was petrified': Rainham mother calls for more action on bullying
- 3 'For my kids': Mother vows to keep fighting over council flat mould
- 4 Harold Wood walkers ‘frustrated’ as ‘beyond repair’ bridge is closed
- 5 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 6 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 7 Romford Town swimmer Junayna Ahmed to compete in Olympic Games
- 8 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 9 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 10 New community hub opens in Rainham 'following Harold Hill centre's success'
Lewis Smith got Hornchurch – 6-0 winners over Tooting at the weekend – back on terms five minutes after the restart, though.
And Tuohy, whose goalscoring prowess helped Aveley reach the Premier Division play-offs in 2009/10, netted his seventh goal of the current campaign to clinch the points with a quarter of an hour remaining.
A third successive victory lifted Hornchurch above Billericay into seventh place, with an FA Cup first qualifying round tie against Concord next on the agenda this weekend.
Romford, unbeaten in five matches, return to Ryman One North action tonight (Tuesday) as they visit Waltham Abbey.