Tuesday football: Essex Senior Cup
Concord v Hornchurch
Hornchurch will be looking to get back to winning ways on Canvey Island tonight.
Urchins suffered their first league defeat since early October at the weekend, as play-off rivals Lowestoft took the Ryman Premier points at Bridge Avenue with a 2-1 victory.
It was only a second defeat in 17 for Jimmy McFarlane’s men, who visit fierce rivals Concord bidding for a quarter-final spot in the county’s premier competition.
Hornchurch were beaten 2-1 by League One side Colchester in last season’s delayed final, which was played in August after the original fixture at Dagenham & Redbridge was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.
You may also want to watch:
And McFarlane, a former winner of the prestigious trophy, will be keen to maintain the club’s interest in this season’s competition, with a trip to struggling Division One North side Heybridge awaiting the winners of tonight’s tie.
Frankie Curley and Lewis Smith netted as Urchins beat Concord 2-0 in league play in early November, but Tambeson Eyong was sent off for two bookable offences
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 4 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 5 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 6 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 7 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 10 Hornchurch Covid woodland memorial gets residents' backing, survey says