'Top bloke' policeman and father-of-two died from Covid, aged just 46
- Credit: Kam Rai
The colleagues of a long-serving police officer who died after contracting Covid have launched a fundraiser to help support his wife and two young children.
Pc Sukh Singh joined the Met in 2009 and worked across East and North East Area Basic Command Units, most recently as part of the forensic command.
Sukh, who was a father to a 14-year-old daughter and a 17-year-old son, was looking forward to a new role which was due to start this month, before he contracted the virus in December.
His father was also recovering from Covid in the same ward but Sukh died in King George Hospital on January 26.
A passionate Liverpool FC fan, he joined the police to give back to the community and, instead of criticising the lack of diversity, he joined the ranks.
Unmesh Desai, London Assembly Member for City and East, was a neighbour of Sukh's in East Ham and became closer to him after he moved to Ilford.
His last contact with him was just before he died in hospital, telling him how much he wanted to get out.
- 1 Only eight Covid patients 'critical' at Queen's and King George hospitals
- 2 Councillors give green light to new Rainham leisure centre plans
- 3 Romford MP leading charge to ban 'no pets' clauses in rented homes
- 4 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 5 People accused of breaching Covid regulations appear at court
- 6 Councillor criticises council decision to remove automated public toilets
- 7 Planes can't take off, but new businesses can - pilot swaps cockpit for coffee
- 8 Lidl to submit a planning application for a Rainham store
- 9 Hornchurch striker Liam Nash backing his side to keep Wembley dream alive
- 10 Shielding pensioner 'gobsmacked' after being hit with littering fine
He said: "He was a great bloke, very affable and sociable. He will be sorely missed."
Deputy leader of Redbridge Council, Kam Rai, said he was a "dedicated public servant and one of the good guys" and recalled their time together playing football.
He said: "[He was] a really lovely guy who'd keep the peace when the rest of us would argue over something silly. His death is a shock and he'll be missed by everyone."
Inspector Simon Ward, who launched a fundraiser for Sukh's family, said everyone loved his positive attitude.
He said: "There are many positive words that have been said of Sukh Singh… An absolute diamond, a genuine guy with a cheeky grin, kind-hearted and a gentle soul and a top bloke."
Sukh was one of at least five serving police officers and staff who have died after contracting Covid in recent weeks.
Commissioner Cressida Dick, said she was "deeply saddened" by the news, adding: "Policing is a family and the scale of our loss is truly shocking."
Sukh leaves behind his wife Kam and children Taran and Jasmeet.
To contribute to the fundraiser visit https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/sukhsingh.