Tributes left to tragic teens Harry Wood and Gregg Mint who died in Romford crash

�Two teenage boys died, and one is in a critical condition in hospital, after a car crash in Romford on Monday night.

Police, firefighters and ambulances were called to Crow Lane, at around 8pm, after a silver three-door Renault Clio overturned.

Two 17-year-olds – Harry Wood, of Hornchurch, and Gregg Mint, from Basildon, both students at Havering College – were pronounced dead at the scene.

As the Recorder went to press, one other occupant of the Clio, a 15-year-old boy, was in hospital in a critical condition.

Two other occupants, an 18-year-old man and a 16-year-old girl, were treated in hospital but later released.

You may also want to watch:

Staff from Havering College left a tribute at the scene. It says: “A very sad and tragic loss of two very fine young men.

“You will both be sorely missed by us all.”

Most Read

‘Constant smile’

Tributes to the boys have been posted on social networking websites and on the Recorder website.

Chantelle Maria Konnoris wrote: “Not one person could say a bad word about Harry.

“He didn’t judge anyone, had a constant smile on his face and always kept himself to himself.

“I’m very upset knowing that other people in the world will never get the chance to meet Harry now, as he has had a huge impact on mine and other’s life.”

Daniel Witney wrote: “RIP my little cousin Gregg.

“We will all miss you so much. Hope you and grandad ain’t causing trouble up there xxx.”

Earlier this week witnesses told of their horror at seeing the aftermath of the incident.

A Crow Lane resident, who only wanted to give her name as Annette, said: “My husband had taken the dog for a walk. He said he saw something fly through the air. He said ‘oh my god’ and ran to the house screaming and panicking saying ‘get the police’.

“They were only kids, it’s dreadful.”

Ronald Darby said: “It was terrible, it demolished the lamppost. They pulled people out of the car, it wasn’t a nice sight.”

Around 10 staff from the nearby Royal Mail sorting office rushed to the scene to stop passing motorists and attempt to help with first aid before the emergency services arrived.

Officers from the Road Death Investigation Unit, based at Chadwell Heath, are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.

At this early stage it is understood that no other vehicle was involved.

Roads around the area were closed last night, but have now been re-opened.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has information that may assist police should call the Road Death Investigation Unit on: 020 8597 4874.

There have been no arrests.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter