Travelling troupe to bring authenticity to Shakespeare play in Hornchurch
- Credit: Archant
Have you ever wondered what William Shakespeare’s plays were like during the Tudor times?
Well wonder no more as a band of five actors, known as Illyria, will perform at Fairkytes Art Centre, Billet Lane, Hornchurch, using the original script of The Comedy of Errors from the legendary playwright’s First Folio - considered to be the authoritative edition of his plays.
The only tweak the group has made for Saturday’s performance is the relocation of the town Ephesus from ancient Greece to Mexico.
With just five performers the mixed-sex cast have to continuously juggle their roles as they advance the plot at a fast pace whilst delivering the Bard’s prose perfectly.
Elizabethan scholar Dr Reaveley Gair hailed the authenticity of Illyria’s Shakespeare productions.
You may also want to watch:
“Illyria’s five actors are the direct heirs of Shakespeare’s wandering players,” said Dr Reaveley.
Tickets for Illyria: The Comedy of Errors, which starts at 6pm, cost £10.45 and can be purchased via http://bit.ly/2tqdEzD.
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 3 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 4 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 5 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 6 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 7 12 Estates: How is the regeneration programme progressing?
- 8 'It was amazing': Birthday surprise vintage bus tour for woman with Down's syndrome
- 9 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 10 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor