Tragedy as Hornchurch “hero” George Selby and his son Louis drown off coast of Majorca
A Hornchurch man and his seven-year-old son have drowned off the coast of Majorca.
The tragedy happened at the Cala Antena beach, in the south east of the Spanish island, on Saturday (September 1).
Reports said 28-year-old George Selby, of Hartland Road, was trying to save his son Louis after the boy was washed into the sea by a large wave.
Mr Selby’s mother Christine gave this statement to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) on Sunday: “My son George Selby died trying to save his son Louis Selby. George was passionate about his wife Abigail and their three sons.
“This tragedy that has befallen this family has devastated the lives of his wife, sons, and mother. George, Louis and their family were – and still are – loved by all that knew them.
You may also want to watch:
“Please allow us to grieve for our devastating loss of a truly heroic husband, father, son, brother – and Louis, our little bear.”
An employee at Cash Concepts in Romford, where Mr Selby worked, said the news was hard to come to terms with.
- 1 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 2 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 7 'Accident waiting to happen': Neighbours on 'traffic carnage' around school
- 8 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 9 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 10 Havering parks retain Green Flag awards
“He died a hero, trying to get his son,” she said. “We just loved him here. He was such a good man with a good heart.”
She added the trip to Mallorca had been the Selbys’ first family holiday.
An FCO spokesman said: “We are aware of the tragic death of two British nationals in Mallorca on 1 September. We are providing consular assistance to the family.”
If you would like to leave a tribute to Mr Selby or Louis, please contact the news desk on 020 8477 3878 or e-mail email@example.com.
The deaths come less than two weeks after five-year-old Lara Lewis and her grandfather Brian O’Dwyer, 66, drowned in Nazare, Portugal.
Lara and Mr O’Dwyer were swept out to sea when waves knocked them over as they walked along Salgada beach.
Grandmother Jill O’Dwyer was also carried away by the choppy waters, but survived.