Top places to cycle in Havering
- Credit: Archant
Chris Froome will cycle through London carrying with him Britain’s Tour de France hopes - but where can the budding Havering cyclist hone their skills?
Bike mechanic Richard Waterlow, 30, is one of the founders of the 45-member strong Romford Cycle Club and he shared with the Recorder his five top spots.
The flat smooth roads around the Rainham Marshes, he said, are perfect for beginners. “There’s not that much traffic that way either,” he added.
The gentle undulating hills of Upminster are a good mid-point for the more confident as well, he said.
But if you want more of a challenge head up the Orange Tree Hill in Havering-atte-Bower or Shepherd’s Hill in Harold Wood, he said.
You may also want to watch:
“Orange Tree Hill is pretty long with a reasonable gradient,” Richard, of Eastbrook Drive, Dagenham, said. “It certainly makes you work a bit.”
- 1 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Stall holders 'chuffed' as Romford Market reopens
- 4 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 5 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 6 Mayoral election 2021: 'Free London' candidate Laurence Fox visits Romford
- 7 Application for ramp to help man with cerebral palsy is rejected
- 8 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 9 Havering South is one of the best vaccination teams in the country
- 10 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens