Top places to cycle in Havering
- Credit: Archant
Chris Froome will cycle through London carrying with him Britain’s Tour de France hopes - but where can the budding Havering cyclist hone their skills?
Bike mechanic Richard Waterlow, 30, is one of the founders of the 45-member strong Romford Cycle Club and he shared with the Recorder his five top spots.
The flat smooth roads around the Rainham Marshes, he said, are perfect for beginners. “There’s not that much traffic that way either,” he added.
The gentle undulating hills of Upminster are a good mid-point for the more confident as well, he said.
But if you want more of a challenge head up the Orange Tree Hill in Havering-atte-Bower or Shepherd’s Hill in Harold Wood, he said.
You may also want to watch:
“Orange Tree Hill is pretty long with a reasonable gradient,” Richard, of Eastbrook Drive, Dagenham, said. “It certainly makes you work a bit.”
- 1 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 2 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 3 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 4 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 5 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 6 Havering and Barking and Dagenham parents 'outraged' at poor quality free school meal replacements
- 7 Pressure on to preserve Upminster trees as council receives almost 200 messages
- 8 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 9 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 10 Charity boss hails response after 'army of volunteers' come forward to support vaccine centres