Top places to cycle in Havering
- Credit: Archant
Chris Froome will cycle through London carrying with him Britain’s Tour de France hopes - but where can the budding Havering cyclist hone their skills?
Bike mechanic Richard Waterlow, 30, is one of the founders of the 45-member strong Romford Cycle Club and he shared with the Recorder his five top spots.
The flat smooth roads around the Rainham Marshes, he said, are perfect for beginners. “There’s not that much traffic that way either,” he added.
The gentle undulating hills of Upminster are a good mid-point for the more confident as well, he said.
But if you want more of a challenge head up the Orange Tree Hill in Havering-atte-Bower or Shepherd’s Hill in Harold Wood, he said.
You may also want to watch:
“Orange Tree Hill is pretty long with a reasonable gradient,” Richard, of Eastbrook Drive, Dagenham, said. “It certainly makes you work a bit.”
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 3 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 4 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 7 'Prisoners in our own homes': Hornchurch residents left without lifts
- 8 Collier Row grandma crochets letterbox topper to 'make community smile'
- 9 Romford's Jesy Nelson included in Little Mix display at Madame Tussauds
- 10 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological