Top places to cycle in Havering
- Credit: Archant
Chris Froome will cycle through London carrying with him Britain’s Tour de France hopes - but where can the budding Havering cyclist hone their skills?
Bike mechanic Richard Waterlow, 30, is one of the founders of the 45-member strong Romford Cycle Club and he shared with the Recorder his five top spots.
The flat smooth roads around the Rainham Marshes, he said, are perfect for beginners. “There’s not that much traffic that way either,” he added.
The gentle undulating hills of Upminster are a good mid-point for the more confident as well, he said.
But if you want more of a challenge head up the Orange Tree Hill in Havering-atte-Bower or Shepherd’s Hill in Harold Wood, he said.
You may also want to watch:
“Orange Tree Hill is pretty long with a reasonable gradient,” Richard, of Eastbrook Drive, Dagenham, said. “It certainly makes you work a bit.”
- 1 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 2 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 3 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 4 Weekly Covid cases across east London revealed
- 5 Deep clean of Havering aims to get streets 'back to how they should be’
- 6 Mum opens Romford juice van to offer healthy snacks and drinks for kids
- 7 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 8 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 9 Harold Hill man to be sentenced for ATM robberies
- 10 'Cover up or terrible mistake?': Family told hostel death inquest will not take place