Free weekend parking to 'boost Havering's high streets' for Christmas season
- Credit: PA
Drivers can benefit from free weekend car parking in Havering over Christmas and New Year.
Havering Council has said all the car parks it runs will offer free car parking at weekends from November 27 until January 2, 2022.
Parking fees will be suspended on Saturdays from November 27 to January 2 inclusive.
The scheme aims to support businesses in the high street and town centres over the festive period and runs alongside the already in place, free parking on Sundays, which will continue.
Cllr Damian White, leader of Havering Council, said the free parking offered will help to give shops a “much-needed boost at what is one of the most important times of the year”.
He added: “The retail and hospitality sector has suffered a lot because of the restrictions we have faced with the Covid-19 pandemic.
“Not only does free parking support and encourage our residents to shop local – it will hopefully provide a shot in the arm to Havering businesses after what has been another challenging year.”
- 1 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 2 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 3 Plans to convert hotel into housing rejected despite residents' support
- 4 Aklu Plaza submits plans to convert third floor into banqueting suite
- 5 'Pupils love coming here': Romford primary school retains 'good' rating
- 6 Man and woman arrested following Hornchurch stabbing
- 7 Rainham road closed as tactic to stop flytipping
- 8 Romford's South Street reacts to BBC licence fee announcement
- 9 Tribute paid to father one year after death in council hostel
- 10 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
Charges remain as usual for on-street parking bays.