Tractor trip the length of UK raises diabetes charity funds
A Brentwood man travelled the length of the country on a tractor to raise money for Diabetes UK.
Warren Jopson set off from John O’Groats and reached Land’s End in Cornwall a week later.
His son Stanley, 13, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in March 2011, and Warren has been keen to raise money for Diabetes UK ever since.
After he bought the vintage Fordson tractor he thought of the idea for the fundraising event, which saw his wife Hayley and Stanley follow him for most of the journey.
Warren, 41, said: “Since Stanley was diagnosed, we have all found it hard at times, but with the help of family, friends, Diabetes UK and Broomfield Hospital we continue to cope well.
You may also want to watch:
“I wanted to give something back, which is why I decided to take on this challenge, and having been brought up driving tractors it wasn’t anything new to me. Stan is such a kind hearted boy and so full of life, so I was very keen to raise money for a cause that is so close to all of my family’s heart.
“It was great to have him and my wife behind me in the camper van, and though there were a few technical hitches along the way, we had a fantastic time and I’m delighted with the total we have raised so far.”
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 3 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 6 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 8 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 9 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 10 Heritage: Romford's key role in the English Civil War
Louise Rout, acting fundraising officer for Diabetes UK’s eastern region, said: “Warren has been brilliant throughout his organising of this challenge, and it’s fantastic that he’s managed to complete it.
“He has – and is continuing to – raised a huge amount of money for Diabetes UK, and for that we cannot thank him enough.”
People can still donate to Warren at www.justgiving.com/warren-jopson.