Topping out ceremony to mark building new supported living community in Gidea Park
A topping out ceremony and plaque to mark the building of part of a new supported living community in Gidea Park was held this week.
The apartments in Dreywood Court will be available next Spring for people aged 55 or over.
The apartment blocks, developed by Havering Council and East Thames Group, are now complete with only the internal works remaining.
Cllr Lesley Kelly, cabinet member for housing, unveiled a plaque and filled in concrete on the fourth floor of Block A to mark the day.
The development consists of 98 self-contained one and two-bedroom apartments, most of which will be available for social rent, with 20 available for shared ownership.
You may also want to watch:
Residents will be offered care and support and will be supported to maintain their independence.
Cllr Michael White, leader of the council, said: “The borough of Havering has the oldest population of all the London boroughs and population forecasts confirm that this is set to continue.
- 1 'He was petrified': Rainham mother calls for more action on bullying
- 2 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 3 'For my kids': Mother vows to keep fighting over council flat mould
- 4 Harold Wood walkers ‘frustrated’ as ‘beyond repair’ bridge is closed
- 5 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 6 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 7 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 8 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 9 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 10 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
“We aim to keep older people as independent as possible throughout their lives, to keep them healthy for longer.
“This scheme allows people to maintain their independence as well as have care and support when they need it.”
Individuals or couples looking to be part of this exciting new community can register their interest by calling 01708 433322.