Three bus strikes announced for February
PUBLISHED: 07:57 29 January 2015 | UPDATED: 07:57 29 January 2015
PA/Press Association Images
A further three 24-hour bus strikes will be staged next month over pay and working conditions.
Members of Unite union at 18 bus companies plan to walk out in protest on February 5, February 13 and February 16.
Mike Weston, TfL’s director of buses, said: “I am very sorry that the leadership of Unite are threatening to further disrupt the journeys of bus passengers, especially given that only 16% of the bus drivers voted for strike action.
Employees from bus companies including Abellio and Stagecoach will once again take part in the 24-hour strikes to show their support of the long-running campaign for a single pay agreement to replace the current model, which includes 80 different rates.
Unite regional officer Wayne King said: “We firmly believe that there is a simple solution to be had, but sadly the refusal by the operators to engage in collective talks is risking the inevitable disruption that strike action will bring to passengers.
“Bus passengers pay one fare, so why don’t bus drivers get paid the same rate for doing the same job?”
A strike earlier this month led to widespread disruption to bus services in the capital after 20,000 workers walked out.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.