‘Thief’ swims Ingrebourne River, at Dover’s Corner, Rainham, to avoid police
- Credit: Archant
A suspected thief swam across a river this morning to try and avoid capture by police.
Officers gave chase after the man was spotted with a bag on the roof of The Albion pub, in Rainham Road, Rainham.
He fled, wading across the nearby Ingrebourne River, at Dover’s Corner, before briefly taking refuge on “a small island”, police said.
He was caught a short time - near the old Rainham Police station, in Bridge Road.
A second man is also being sought by police.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman said: “There were two police vans and two cars at the scene - and one very wet man.”
Anyone with information should call Havering Police on 101.
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 3 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 4 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 5 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 6 ‘It is our moral obligation’: Upminster school launches mental health team
- 7 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 8 Kem Cetinay’s Array restaurant to host Halloween 'ball'
- 9 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 10 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?