The Only Way Is Essex hairdressers thrust into spotlight
HAIRDRESSERS in three local salons have been suddenly thrust into the spotlight after The Only Way Is Essex participants had their hair done in their salons.
Michael Wood and Candy Jacobs from the show have been seen, and filmed, having cuts, colours and blow dries in Uppercuts’ Brentwood, Romford and Gants Hill branches.
Marketing manager Maxine Parry said: “It’s been exciting, the crew’s pretty good and they try not to get in the way. It causes a bit of fun in the salons when they are in because we’re all watching the programme. All the clients look forward to it.”
The salons became accidental stars because participant Michael Wood has been using Uppercuts since he was a boy.
Candy Jacobs also comes in to the Gants Hill branch to have her hair blow dried whenever she goes out to the Faces nightclub, which is opposite the salon.
Manager Katrina Whisker said: “I’m hooked on watching the series especially now they come into the salon. They do cause a bit of a stir with the clients as they’ve become local celebrities.
The show’s glamorouressex ethos has had a knock-on effect for the salon’s staff as they never know when the film crew will pop in.”
- 1 Campion pupil Thorne chasing Commonwealth Games glory
- 2 'Totally gutted’: Hornchurch nightclub owner vows to appeal after opening hours extension refused
- 3 Kem Cetinay: Love Island star offers ‘deepest condolences’ after fatal motorcycle collision
- 4 Upminster fire: 80 firefighters tackle grassland blaze as warm weather continues
- 5 Romford World Naked Bike Ride: How protest sits at the heart of the nude cycle
- 6 Motorcyclist dies after collision with car on Shepherds Hill
- 7 Solution to blaze hotspot in Rainham may take 'some time' to find, residents warned
- 8 ‘It winds me up’: Cleanliness of Romford’s South Street slammed
- 9 Hornchurch police station: No movement on purchase plan as assurances sought about station's future
- 10 Romford flooring company proposes disused shop as site for new three-storey building with six homes
“We always look our best now it’s gone really glamorous, everyone’s on their guard in case they are on TV,” Ms Parry said.