Decades-old Apple Day celebration returns to Upminster
- Credit: Archant
An annual celebration of apples is set to be held in Upminster.
Launched over 30 years ago by a group called Common Ground, Apple Day aims to celebrate the variety of apples availble and bring awareness to the diversity of the landscape needed to cultivate them.
Environment charity Thames Chase will host the two-day event, which will see a selection of locally-grown English apples available to buy and taste.
Held at the Thames Chase Forest Centre in Upminster, the Apple Weekend will kick off on October 16 at 10am with tastings, craft stalls, demonstrations and family activities.
Families can enjoy activities such as a scarecrow-making event, which will be judged on Sunday (October 17).
You may also want to watch:
There will also be talks on apple propagation on Sunday, as well as a craft fair, variety of stalls and volunteer fayre run by the Land of Fanns project.
Co-chair of the Thames Chase Trust, Mary Wright, said: “Thames Chase has joined with many organisations across the country in this annual celebration of regional distinctiveness each year for almost 30 years, only missing last year.
- 1 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 2 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Mum fears gaping ceiling left by workers will 'collapse' on children
- 5 Women targeted in string of mobile phone thefts at Romford nightclub
- 6 Entry and exit wording on ground by Elm Park car park to be investigated
- 7 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 8 Romford's Jesy Nelson denies 'blackfishing' accusations
- 9 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 10 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
“Combining the celebration with the volunteer fayre will help us and our partners to sustain the work of landscape improvements and appreciation well into the future”
Further information can be found at https://www.thameschase.org.uk/news-events/upcoming-events/thames-chase-apple-weekend