Search

Temporary width restriction to be made permanent, angering Romford residents

PUBLISHED: 07:00 25 January 2017 | UPDATED: 13:19 25 January 2017

Res?idents Amanda Gilmour, Lisa Gilmour and Hazel Little are angered by the temporary road block on Cedar Road being made permanent

Res?idents Amanda Gilmour, Lisa Gilmour and Hazel Little are angered by the temporary road block on Cedar Road being made permanent

Archant

A width restriction, which was meant to be temporary, will soon become a permanent fixture to the frustration of residents.

Res?idents Amanda Gilmour, Lisa Gilmour and Hazel Little are angered by the temporary road block on Cedar Road being made permanentRes?idents Amanda Gilmour, Lisa Gilmour and Hazel Little are angered by the temporary road block on Cedar Road being made permanent

Two blocks of concrete with a metal pole in between was placed in the middle of Cedar Road, Romford, last year, blocking anyone from driving straight onto the A125 which leads to the heart of the town centre.

The council installed the temporary road block after a few residents complained that lorries were using the road as a cut-through.

However, after more than 180 people signed a petition objecting during the consultation period and numerous letters of complaint, residents have been told that a permanent road block will be installed.

Resident Lisa Gilmour, 53, said: “It is completely unacceptable.

“A lot of elderly residents live down here and one person has a lung condition so can’t walk too far and has to drive.

“This block is making everyone’s lives that bit more difficult as instead of going straight through to Romford, we have to go all the way around which just takes that bit more time than that is actually necessary.

“It’s frustrating that even though we have made it clear how we feel, we are not being listened to by the council.”

The decision to make the width restriction permanent was made by the Highways Advisory Committee last month but letters were only sent out last week informing residents.

Lisa said: “We shouldn’t be completely cut off from going down there just because of lorries.

“It is a road after all so they are allowed to use it and the issue of speeding could have been fixed with something like speed bumps.

“What was the point in having a consultation if we weren’t even going to be listened to?

“A lot of us are just really annoyed that despite a majority wanting to get rid of it, the council is listening to the few.”

A council spokesman said: “The scheme was considered by the Highways Advisory Committee on December 6 2016 and the committee recommended that the scheme should be made permanent, with the vote being eight councillors in favour and three against.

“Based on this recommendation Cllr Osman Dervish, the council’s cabinet member for environment, regulatory services and community safety, approved the closure being made permanent.

“The closure is currently formed with temporary concrete blocks and Havering Council will be changing these to something less visually intrusive in due course.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder