Team mates raise money for Romford boy’s brain-tumour treatment.
Team mates of a youngster who has a life-threatening brain tumour have raised �1,500 for his treatment.
Romford and Gidea Park RFC under eights, who Alex Field used to play, organised the football match with the under seven and nine team against their dads on Sunday.
Alex, seven, was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour in July 2010.
The tumour is aggressive and difficult to treat with conventional radiotherapy and chemotherapy, so his family is trying to raise �300,000 to send him to the US, where there is more advanced technology.
Alex’s team mates and their parents wanted to arrange a fundraising event to help raise money for his treatment.
You may also want to watch:
They took part in the match and the boys triumphed against the dads 5-1.
Martin Brooks, who helped organise the match, said: “It was such an enjoyable afternoon for all the boys and dads alike.
- 1 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 2 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 3 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 4 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 5 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 6 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 7 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 8 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 9 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 10 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
“Alex is a very popular boy at the rugby club and we have all been affected by his battle with illness.
“The boys and their parents wanted to do something to help raise funds to get Alex the treatment he needs.
“I’d like to say a massive thank you to everyone who took part, the coaches at the club and everyone who sponsored the boys. They gave us dads a good beating, but we’ll be back for our revenge very soon.”
Also raising money for Alex is football agent Jon Smith who will be running a marathon in the North Police.
Jon, from north-west London, will be starting the challenge on April 2.
To sponsor him visit www.uk.virginmoneygiving.com/polarrunner.