Teacher from Hornchurch Branded best in Britain
AN “outstanding” teacher, from Hornchurch, will be hitting our TV screens after winning a prestigious national award.
Rachel Dixon, who joined Ripple Primary School in Barking eight years ago, scooped the Daily Mirror Pride of Britain Award for Teacher of the Year 2010.
The 37-year-old transformed exam results at the school, staged musicals and formed an award-winning samba band – Escola de Samba.
The band, which performed at the Royal Albert Hall last October, played at the celebrity-packed ceremony on Monday as she picked up her gong.
Rachel was told she had won the coveted prize last month
You may also want to watch:
“I was rehearsing when I noticed the kids weren’t paying any attention to me,” she sad. “I looked around and hip hop group N-Dubz were there.
They presented me with the award, which came as a complete shock.”
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 4 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 5 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 6 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 7 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 8 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 9 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 10 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
Rachel says she “loves” her job and couldn’t imagine doing anything else. “The children are such massive personalities and the staff I work with are wonderful. I hope to stay at Ripple for years to come.”
Headteacher, Roger Mitchell said: “She is truly outstanding in the classroom.
“I can’t think of anyone more deserving.”
As the school’s literacy co-ordinator, she has almost doubled SAT results in English, from 43 per-cent in 2003 to 82 per-cent in 2008.
The awards will be screened tomorrow night (Wednesday November 10) at 8pm on ITV1.